2005/11/09

The Passport Story

My house was robbed a few months ago.
Yeah, it's a lovely area around here. :)
From the few things taken from here, my passport was one of them.
I had to take care of getting a new one. I wouldn't imagine uncle Sam cutting me a break on that!
So, once i got to the police station, they told me i had six months to make a formal statement/complaint about the incident as well as to list the stolen material.
I did that a few days later, and then they told me i would need a paper from them to ask for a new passport. So far so good. I left the place with them saying:
"In about 10 days, you can go pick up the paper you'll need, here (...)"

Well... i didn't need the passport that fast, so i took a little more then 10 days. Say... 50.
They didn't say anything else, so why not more than 10, right?

I got to the place where i should pick up my paper/statement and show them the receipt.
They looked at it with those 70's fashion uniforms, and said:
Officer: "When were you supposed to have picked this up?"
Me: "I don't know, they said no less than 10 days."
Officer: "We threw that paper away (to the trash!) already."
The guy also got another paper ready in 15 minutes, charged me €10 for a freaking printing and a stamp, and off i went.

What to think about the word efficient on these matters? Well... i just concluded that for these guys, paperwork is hard to file/store.
But hey! We're a super advanced country, so we can afford to do things twice around here.

No comments: